Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Relationships over the internet?

Last night I heard a comment from a student, "I felt like I've known her all my life." They had never actually 'met' except through facebook. Call me old-fashioned, or just call me old, but what ever happened to face-to-face communication? How can you really know a person when you don't see their facial expression, their instant response to what you say. How can you know a person when you don't know what their voice sounds like? How can you allow a person to truly know you when you can edit and spell-check all your responses?

About a year ago, I broke down and got a blog. It's not so I can keep in touch with my friends and so they can know what's going on in my life, because I don't often write what I'm actually thinking about (ie. this is not my journal people!). I just enjoy having an avenue to spew some opinions and thoughts really, regardless of who is "listening". If you read my blog, that doesn't mean you 'know' me.

I'm not against communication over email, blogs, facebook, msn, etc. but does that really constitute knowing someone? What happened to actually hanging out together? Going for coffee? Actually physically being with someone is the best way to get to know them. Thanks to all of you who I can do that with, even for some who those times are few and far between because of distance and craziness.

AND yes, it is 3:30pm on a Wednesday and I'm writing on my blog. I'm at home, unable to move except from the floor to the couch because of my back again. Bored and stir crazy in my apartment but so limited in what I can actually do.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelley Anne said...

I hear you sister! I pretty much don't let people get to know me unless it's face to face!! Ha Ha!!

I hope your back is doing better too! Praying for you tonight!!

7:39 p.m.  
Blogger lowonthego said...

i concur.

besides, when you blog stalk someone, it makes it pretty AWKWARD when you finally meet the person (believe me. been there done that..)

because then you know too much about the person to do the usual "get-to-know-you" small talk, but too little to talk about anything deep and significant. which leaves the said people in a very awkward situation. what DO you talk about in that case?

so yes. getting to know a person face to face is lovely.

***

re: your back.

hey think about it. i may actually be your friend tomorrow while you're crippled. isn't that exciting?! if you ARE indeed still crippled tomorrow.

haha, i blame it on the pilates.

7:49 p.m.  
Blogger It's My DLu! said...

no way, i know aaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll your deep thoughts cause of this thing.

*stalk stalk*

6:30 p.m.  
Blogger Kristen said...

Janette,
I think blogging is an excellent avenue to share that which God is teaching you and can be an encouragement as we keep each other accountable. Clearly, some things should be kept between you and God and face to face contact is best, but with our crazy schedules bloggs allow us to check in and discover how we can be praying for the other.
I too have your back covered...

12:05 a.m.  
Blogger Glow said...

i laughed and said, "really? you don't?" when i read that you didn't start the blog to keep in touch with others, because i just told someone yesterday that the reason why i even bother updating my blog at the end of a long day is "my desperate attempt to keep in touch with friends on the other side of the ocean." - the challenge of living "in two worlds" and trying to stay in touch with both.

but yeah, i agree, "knowing" someone is a two-way street... and i do like to see facial expression when i talk to ppl - that's why i bought a webcam! (another attempt :o)

hope your back is doing better. praying for you!

2:59 a.m.  
Blogger JWo said...

I agree - great post. I hate people who read your blog and then treat you based on assumptions made from reading your blog.

12:23 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home