Sunday, December 17, 2006

Contending in Context

"to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints" (Jude 3)

I just listened to this sermon and really appreciated it. It's long and heavy so be prepared.
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/MediaPlayer/1833/Audio/

In the last few weeks on campus, I feel like I have contended for all the 9 truths that he talks about that are central to our Christian faith but are being ripped into by the postmodern culture. Is it worth it - to hold tightly to these things? Yes! Am I archaic for doing so? No! Otherwise the good news of Jesus Christ having saved me from my sin is not true. For example, take the authority of the Bible out of the Gospel and you have nothing left. I pray that I have done that in a contextualized way - that is the difficult part. "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." (1 Cor.9:22-23)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelley Anne said...

Well said Janette!!
Thanks for sharing the link! I really benefitted from listening and I'm passing it on!

11:41 a.m.  
Blogger lynZrose said...

well, SOME of my favorite cousins! They ARE my fav on my dad's side - kinda have to be since they're the only ones!! haha. But i mean, how can you beat Canadian cousins? You can't! Miss you and I hope we'll be able to get up there soon! I hear there's a bunch of the Durksens of the younger generation now in Toronto! Very cool.

4:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home